9/05/2005

It's great being a woman

No matter how good you are as a female poker player men will usually consider themselves better. Or better yet that you don't belong there at all. What a crock. You can tell right away which men are ok with you being there and which ones aren't. They will smile with their teeth clenched and politely grin or nod hello. Others, are friendly and welcoming, when you know darn well all they are thinking about is your bra size and how they'd like to "push all" in to you. Not all men have egos the size of Mt. Rushmore but many do and hide it very well. Which is the reason it gives me such a rush when I take their chips.

For instance, this past Friday I was involved in a small tourney of 8 players. I was able to use my elite poker skills and a little mojo on 6 of the players to make it to a heads up match against a kid who once played a strong game. I wasn't feeling too confident when I observed several garbage hands he played in the tourney. I know you loosen up heads up but he was a regular Gus Hansen. I was having a real hard time reading his play. (bravo to him). It had been a long time since playing heads up against him and obviously I was nervous. We battled and when I had a good hand it held up. He was still playing loose. Much to my dismay, I stopped getting even decent cards and had to take some stabs.

In the end he won the tourney and we had a fun evening. Although, the last hand I read him right not having top pair (A's), since he called my pre-flop raise but instead he had two pair (5,10) and my draw didn't come....

That's just the way it is.....Second still walked away with $$, so I was happy.

No comments: