5/28/2006

Best Place in Town

Lately, life has swallowed me whole. It seems every second I free up something else comes along that takes two seconds more of my time. I have put some things on the back burner because of it. (Arbonne) Still, I have made time for some luxuries and one in particular is a shame not to share. I am talking about the best place in town to grab a fabulous dinner, great lounge, and excellent atmosphere: restaurant O on Main Street in Greenville, SC.

I have dined there many a times and will recommend various items that I have personally experienced to much liking. For example, those who want to have a simple evening out can sit at the bar and order anything off the menu while conversing w/ staff and enjoying the evening. I experienced that one night and the wine manager gave me a private wine tasting. The Chef came out to explain something with the raw oysters which are to die for. Just by taking a moment to get to know some of the staff I was able to get insight on what they have to offer as well as receive excellent service in return. I felt pampered. If you are looking for something more intimate you can dine in the main restaurant or on the outdoor patio. I have done both and prefer the patio on a nice night. There aren't too many tables and it is a great place for people watching. Upstairs they have a great lounge filled with oversized chairs and seating islands. It is very cool and chic. Great place to hang out and have drinks.

Now let's get to the menu. Everything we have tried has been unbelievably good. For starters, the crab soup, calamari, and raw oysters are our favorite appetizer. If you try the raw oysters ask them what type they are. The best are the one's from the west coast near Canada. They are called Boshalay oysters, small but the best I have ever tasted. (not sure if I got the spelling right). The ceasar's salad is an excellent chose for greenery. On to the main course, I have to include the flat iron steak, crab cakes (very thick), and of course the best in town filet. The sides include wasabi mashed potatoes, green beans, asparagus, and an excellent macaroni and cheese. For dessert we always get a scoop of Southern Comfort ice cream. Yes, soco fans ...... they have it! The best part of the menu is at times the Chef has a "tasting menu". This is a three course meal. You choose from 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts. The entrees we have tried have come with the wasabi mashed potatoes and some asparagus. It is some excellent food and great atmosphere. I heard they recently changed their menu so I am not sure if all the items I have spoken about are still available but if they are you need to get your butt down there and try it.
If you go, invite me...

No comments: